Salkantay Trek. Did not find spaces available for the Inca Trail? Do not worry, we present the Salkantay Trek, which also takes you to one of the 7 Wonders of the Modern World: Machu Picchu.
The Inca Trail through the Salkantay 2019-2020 is one of the best alternatives that will allow you to visit Machu Picchu, after 5 days and 4 nights in a 73 kilometers route. It is a great adventure that will allow you to appreciate high and massive mountains, exuberant vegetation, streams, rivers and more. It also includes thermal waters that will help you relax your body after the physical effort of walking. You can also enjoy some snow at one of the highest points of the road, 4,650 m above sea level. Finally, on the last day we will have the great guided tour of Machu Picchu.
DAY 1.- CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – SORAYPAMPA
- We pick you up at your hotel in the morning in private transportation.
- After a tour of beautiful landscapes, we arrived at the picturesque village of Mollepata, a checkpoint before starting the tour.
- Then we went to Soraypampa, the starting point of the trek and we started the advance through the Andean nature.
- Night in campsite.
DAY 2. – SORAYPAMPA – CHAULLAY
- The morning walk begins in the morning.
- We will pass through the Pampa del Salkantay and the pass of the same name, the highest point of the route (4,629 meters above sea level).
- Then continue the march to a height of 4,000 meters above sea level in Wayramachay, place of lunch.
- Continue the adventure to Chaullay, campsite and overnight.
(B, L, D)
DAY 3. – CHAULLAY – SANTA TERESA
- After breakfast, we continue advancing, already in descending route.
- We arrived at the border of the jungle, appreciating the change of the landscape.
- Lunch at the beach camp.
- We continue descending to the town of Santa Teresa (1,400 masl), where we will spend the night.
. (B, L, D)
DAY 4. – SANTA TERESA – AGUAS CALIENTES
- In the morning, we resume the march through the exuberant Cusco forest.
- We will go down to the famous Machu Picchu Hydroelectric Plant and then by bus to the town of Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu village).
- After dinner, we will sleep in a hotel.
. (B, L,D)
DAY 5. – AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
- After breakfast, we go by bus to the citadel of Machu Picchu.
- Private tour with professional guide.
- Back to Aguas Calientes, we will enjoy a delicious lunch.
- Finally, we will go to the train station for the trip to Ollantaytambo and from there by private transport to your hotel in Cusco.
. (B, L)
End of our services
SALKANTAY TREK 5 DAYS / 4 NIGHTS in 2019
Day 01: Cusco – Mollepata – Soraypampa
We will leave Cusco at 04:30 on bus, until Mollepata, a nearly 2:30-hour journey. After breakfast we start the uphill hike towards Cruzpata (3.100 meters above sea level), on a light slope where we can see many typical plants, native birds, the Apurimac river canyon (which is one of the deepest in Peru), and a villagers’ irrigation waterway.
We’ll have lunch in Cruzpata and on the Trail again at around 1:30 p.m headed to Soraypampa on a climbing hike with many terrain variations, seeing typical shacks, flora, Andean birds and wonderful views of the snow-capped Humantay (5.902 meters above sea level). After some 4 hours of hiking, it’s the arrival at our campsite in Soraypampa (3.900 meters above sea level); from there we can enjoy the sight of the majestic Apu Salkantay (6.271 meters above sea level). (Apu means sacred mountain in Quechua).
Day 02: Soraypampa – Challay
After an early energizing breakfast we resume the hike from Soraypampa at around 6:30 a.m, along the spectacular Peruvian highlands. From that spot we can enjoy the magnificent views of the Salkantay Mountain, a stunning snow-capped 6.264 meters high, the second highest peak in Cusco’s region, and also the snowies Humantay and Huayanay, the white river, beautiful small lakes and moraines.
After a five-hour hike, we’ll have lunch in Huayracmachay, and afterwards a further 2-3 hours downhill hike to the campsite at Chaullay, located at 2.920 meters above sea level, making a 20 Km total trek approximately! Meals for this day are breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Day 03: Chaullay – Winaypoco – La Playa.
Wake up with a lovely highlands, mountains view and a good coca leaves morning tea. On day 3 the hike begins at 07:00 am, for 3 hours, and we will get to a high region of the Peruvian Jungle, actually to its western border, where we can see many kinds of subtropical plants, fruits, flowers, typical birds and so on. There, banana trees, coffee plantations and more can be observed; it’s a great chance to take amazing pictures and enjoy nature. At the end of the day we will see delicious passion fruit fields. On the way you will have a delightful experience, meeting local people who live in the region.
The hike lasts approximately 9 hours! Our campsite will be at the village called La Playa (2.400 meters above sea level), to spend the night. Meals for this day are breakfast, lunch and dinner. Hiking distance covered on day 3 is approximately 15 Km.
Day 04: La Playa – Aguas Calientes
After a delicious breakfast, at around 08:30 am we resume our hike, uphill and seeing plantations of coffee, bananas, passion fruit and a wonderful view of the Santa Teresa Valley. We go along the banks of the Vilcanota river until arrival to Oroya (canopy bridge for watching birds). From Sahuayaco you will have the first amazing glimpse of the Machu Picchu and Wayna Picchu mountains.
From the Machu Picchu Hydroelectric we’ll take the train to the day’s final village, Aguas Calientes, next to the Machu Picchu complex, where after dinner you stay overnight at a hostel or optionally at a hotel. Meals for this day are breakfast, lunch and dinner. Hiking distance covered on day 4 is approximately 10 Km.
Day 05: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu
We are hiking up to the archaeological site of Machu Picchu and then explore the citadel and enjoy the ancient place in the quiet morning hours, on a complete professionally guided tour of the Inca citadel for about two hours. In the afternoon, we will gather in Aguas Calientes where, if you like, you can visit around and relax in its famous hot springs. From Aguas Calientes we board the train back to Ollantaytambo (from 18:45 to 20:15 ride) and then connect with the transfer back to Cusco city, (from 20:25 to 22:30 ). Only breakfast for the last day.
In conclusion, the Salkantay trek of 5 days and 4 nights is a great adventure that will allow you to appreciate barren and lush green mountains, streams, rivers and hot springs that will help you relax your body after the physical effort to walk; you can also feel the temperature change along the hiking mountain paths of the tour of Salkantay; you can also enjoy some snow in one of the highest points of the road, 4,650 mts/15, 200 feet above sea level. Finally, the last day (the fifth) you will enjoy the grand tour of Machu Picchu. So do not wait more and book the Salkantay Trek now for your adventure.
The basic notion of packing keeping in mind that you will face a variety of conditions during the trek and it’s very important reduce the weight to a minimum. Avoid extra tough carrying your day backpack during the trek, and for the porters, who have limited kilograms to carry including campsite gear and your extra belongings.
During the Salkantay trek, you will deal with intense heat, strong sun and cold mountain nights, which can get below zero while camping at night.
- Personalized briefing The guide will explain everything you need to know and answer your questions. It is done the day before the start of the walk.
- Transportation Cusco-Mollepata. On the morning of the beginning of the tour, we pick you up in private transport, with the presence of the guide. We will go from the city to the control point of the walk.
- Entrance to Mollepata. It includes the entry ticket to this area, control station Salkantay Road.
- Transportation to Soraypampa. This point is the beginning of the Salkantay route.
- Experienced guide Professional bilingual specialized in Camino Salkantay, with official authorization.
- First aid box. First aid kit, oxygen tank.
- Horsemen and horses. To move the kitchen equipment, food and luggage of the passenger (we include up to 5 kg of luggage per person).
- Comfortable tents. They are of type 4 stations, in excellent condition.
- Complete dinnerware. Dishes, cups, glasses, cutlery, etc., all of reusable material
- Kitchen staff. Cooks specialists. For groups larger than 4 people, we will have an experienced kitchen assistant.
- Foods. 04 breakfasts, 04 lunches, 03 dinners during the tour. We provide vegetarian, vegan and other diets without additional cost, upon request during the reservation.
- Tea upon awakening. Every day, we bring to your tent a delicious hot infusion.
- Assorted snacks We give it in a small cloth bag every morning: a fruit, an energetic bar or cookie and sweets, so that it consumes them during the day.
- hotel in Aguas Calientes. For the night of the fourth day. It has private bathroom, hot water, comfortable rooms, wifi and breakfast the next day. Dinner that day is held in a restaurant and is included.
- Bus Aguas Calientes-Machu Picchu. Transportation from Aguas Calientes to the citadel.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu. It includes the ticket to the citadel of Machu Picchu for the guided tour.
- Private tour in Machu Picchu. The tour of the Inca citadel takes place privately, exclusively for the group.
- Bus Machu Picchu-Aguas Calientes. After finishing the tour, we return by private transport to the town of Aguas Calientes.
- Lunch fifth day. We include this delicious lunch on the last day, in Aguas Calientes.
- Aguas Calientes-Ollantaytambo Train. Return ticket from there to the Ollantaytambo station.
- Transportation Ollantaytambo-Cusco. Private transfer from the train station to your hotel in the city of Cusco.
What do you need to bring for this trip?:
• Insect repellent
• One bottle of water for the first day
• Rain gear
• Sleeping bag (7D & 8D tours)
• Warm jacket
• Long- sleeve cotton shirts
• Hiking shorts
• Swimsuit/sport sandals
• Hiking boots
• Pocket knife
• Camera and film